Wednesday 22 August 2012

Touching the Pacific

Kevin officially arrived on the other side of the world last Saturday! This coming Thursday, Tim his son is marrying Ana in Vancouver, Canada, so he had to go. Last Monday, Doug, her father took Kevin out on Victoria Island, where he completed the experience of touching the three great Oceans the world. He didn't go for a swim as far as I know. He'll be back swimming in the Indian Ocean next week - no comparison! (in my humble opinion)

I was sad not to be able to go because of the health risk if I fly. So what will we do in order to get back to Britain at the end of the year? We plan to travel by train to Cape Town, and then board a container ship to Tilbury Docks, London in November. The port is on the North shore of the river Thames, about 25 miles downstream from London Bridge.

In October it will be 100 years since my grandfather sailed from Liverpool to Africa. He worked in Kenya until 1952, and my mother spent her early years there. As you can imagine it will be quite a pull for me leaving Africa after so many years of my own life, and many more ancestral years marked up. Pray for the packing experience which I have started now - for wisdom as to how much to keep, and what to do with the rest.

No comments: