Saturday 22 September 2012

Grandpa Time

It's time to remember him. The date is October 4, 1912. He sailed from Liverpool with the Church Missionary Society for Kenya in East Africa. He must have gone through the stormy waters around the Cape of Good Hope, and the journey probably took a couple of months, or three. I wonder whether he thought about the Titanic on his way... :(

He did arrive, and met a girl in Kenya in 1916 who became my Granny. She's in this picture (taken around 1961), on the far right, but by that time he wasn't there any more, and I don't even remember him. Their two children are in the picture; my mum and my uncle, and all their grandchildren so far. Which one am I, and who are the others? Watch this space :o)

It's exciting to be following in his footsteps - even though it's in reverse order, as we are soon to travel by train to the Cape and then take a boat to UK. After I was born, my mum told me, he held me in his arms for a long time and prayed over me. All my life he has been the closest of my grandparents; the inspiration he gave me has lead me in his absence. God has been very close; Because of him I am here.

No comments: