Saturday 16 June 2012

Out of Focus...

We had a visit from our mission recently, which helped us to get our lives a little more into focus. Beforehand we spent time reflecting on what has happened in the past two years since coming to Tanzania, and thinking ahead to the future. I have been surprised to find that it is Kevin who wants to stay on longer here! He is getting into the whole project and finding it fulfilling as well as demanding. As for me, I know there is plenty more to do here, especially getting the BK students through their course, but I am tired, and the physical side of life here is tough. I want to start a new life back in North Wales while I still have the energy.

After our wedding in September 2010 we spent five months preparing to come to Tanzania, volunteering at Redcliffe College and visiting our supporting churches. When we arrived, Kevin studied the language for a few weeks only, and has picked up enough to get by. While he was doing that I was trying to recover from the flight... It felt as if something was damaged inside me, and tests show that I do have 'varicous veins' (varices) around an enlarged spleen. It started more than two years ago with a liver infection of an exotic disease which has still not been diagnosed, even after many investigations! After taking treatment for amoeba I have had a lot less pain, but this all means it may not be advisable to fly again. We are planning an overland and sea return trip to the UK. We don't want to encounter pirates, so will go via the Cape.

No comments: