Thursday 25 October 2012

across from Zambia to Zimbabwe

We crossed the bridge over the Zambeze River last Sunday on foot with rucksacks on our backs; In the middle of the bridge is where the Bunge jumpers go from, and I almost was tempted. Then I remembered things aren't quite right inside me anyway, and that might just make it worse. That's my excuse, anyway.

It was a hot and steamy day, and we sweated as the photos were taken. The walk was a little longer than we expected, so after getting across the bridge, we cheated and flagged a lorry driver down. It was all I could do to get in, and Kevin had to push me up, then I didn't get a grip and nearly fell out. The driver was very welcoming, and we sat in the enormous cab as he drove to the immigration post. He showed us to the right door, where we got our visas.

A taxi took us to our accommodation; we stayed at the Victoria Falls Backpackers for two nights. That day we took it easy, then walked to the Falls the next day. I never expected to have such an experience in my lifetime. The thunder, the spray and the view of millions of gallons tipping over the edge was out of this world.

Pictures will follow, as there is no facility to upload here where we are now (Bulawayo) (later in Messina, SA, on 27 Oct, uploaded a photo of us on the bridge)

No comments: