Saturday 9 April 2011

Lost in the mists of time


This is an old picture of the car just after I collected it from the docks in Dar es Salaam in March 2009.

Last week I went to Kilolo to teach, and guess what? I ran out of petrol! I never run out of petrol, but I did then. The engine just stopped! I was near the top of a hill, so I asked some kids to push me to the brink, and coasted down (dropping some money out for them as I went) and along the flat as far as I could go, then pulled over and parked on the side of the road.

I took my mobile phone and an umbrella, and the small amount of cash I had, and started walking! First I called in at the nearest house to ask them to look after the car, then I walked on through a nearby village to a farm where they found me a bit of petrol they usually keep for the lawn mower! My friend drove me back to the car, made a funnel out of a plastic bottle, and put around 3 liters of petrol in. He also lent me some money. The booster took me on to Kilolo where, amazingly there is a petrol station. Where is my brain? Somehow lost in the mists of marriage, perhaps?

No comments: